Home / Crime / Long sentences for murderers of Michael Irving
Murder victim Michael Irving, 15

Long sentences for murderers of Michael Irving

TWO TEENAGERS will spend years behind bars for their part in the murder of Michael Irving, 15, in September 2019 – but they have gone into prison without showing any remorse for ending a young person’s life.

The sentencing took place at the Old Bailey last week. Neither teenager can be named, because they are under 18. The first teen, known as A, was 16 at the time of the murder and is from south London. He was found guilty of murder after a trial which ended on 12th March. The second teen, known as B, was 15 at the time of the murder – and he had pleaded guilty to the offence.

On 3rd September 2019, at around 6.40pm, a member of the public found Michael lying in Byford Street in Stratford, called the emergency services and tried to administer first aid until they arrived.  The London Ambulance Service were quickly on the scene and the Air Ambulance followed minutes later. Despite the best efforts of the medical team, Michael could not be revived and was pronounced dead at the scene around an hour after being found. It was later found that he had been stabbed four times.

The police conducted a thorough investigation to try to establish who had committed the murder.  A witness had seen a fight nearby just before Michael was found.  CCTV also helped.  Police were able to arrest “A” the same day. He was charged with murder two days later – and was tried earlier this year. “B” was arrested just a few days later and just before the trial he pleaded guilty to murder.

It seemed that Michael thought he was going to meet a group of friends in Stratford – but they had in fact laid careful plans to murder him. It is still not clear what the motive for the murder was. “A” was sentenced to 14 years and six months in prison.  “B” was sentenced to ten years and six months.

Michael’s mother, Leisa, said, “I am pleased that justice has been served on the youths that killed my son, Michael, nothing will bring my son back but at least these two youths will not be able to plan and kill any other children in the near future.”

Detective Chief Inspector Mark Wrigley led the investigation. He said, “It is never a good day when two teenagers are sentenced for murder, however, both of those imprisoned are callous in nature and unremorseful about violently taking away Michael’s life.

“We can only hope that Michael’s family, who have remained dignified throughout this traumatic process, can take the smallest degree of comfort that the criminal process is now complete. They will continue to have our support as they continue to grieve for a son lost to violence.”

●Read more about it:
Police seek man after racist stabbing in Dagenham
Fatal shooting in Hackney

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.