A MAN has been found guilty of sexually abusing a child after a hearing at Snaresbrook Crown Court last month. The guilty man is William Powell, 66, of East Ham Manor Way, Beckton.
The Court heard that in May 2018 a girl told a youth worker that she had been assaulted two years previously, when she was under 13 years of age. The allegations were reported to the police for investigation, and in July 2020 Powell was charged with two counts of sexually assaulting a girl under the age of 13.
After the hearing, Powell was remanded to return to Snaresbrook Crown Court on 16th September for sentencing.
Detective Sergeant Emma Stockman, the investigating officer, said, “Powell abused the trust placed in him, and his offences are truly shocking. The verdict reflects the seriousness of the actions of a dangerous and predatory offender.
“I thank the victim for having the strength and courage to come forward. Without this, his abuse may well have continued and impacted on further victims. The trauma that victims suffer can last a lifetime. I hope that the verdict brings the victim some closure, so that they can begin to rebuild their lives.
“Given the predatory nature of Powell’s offending, there is a possibility that he abused other children. We urge any further victims to contact police right away – a specially trained team of detectives are ready to listen and support you.”
●Read more about it:
Bow stalker sent to jail
Three Newham men jailed for rape and robbery in Hackney
●Watch East London’s weekly news magazine programme,
live at 10pm every Tuesday and on demand all week:
The Tuesday Show